2020. What a MASSIVE curve ball for everyone and everything, including your skin. You’ve had to change your lifestyle abruptly, we all have. So now make room for your skin and love on it. There’s no reason to give up on great skin just because of a global epidemic and the economic meltdown. Come on now…;) Here’s 5 more tips for you, because skin tips are the new cliff notes of life.
1. Lighten up.
Especially with all this mask wearing, you want to keep the products super light. Consider switching to an oil-free moisturizer at least once a day, or just stick to serum in the morning. Remember that all that skin under the mask is getting your stinky, hot coffee breath on it all day… so be extra conscious of what you leave on your skin all day!
2. Double cleanse always and forever.
Because honestly, cleansing once is just not an option anymore. And we see you babe, what is double cleansing? Literally… wash your face once and then wash it again. Double cleansing. And if you’re using a cleanser that is too harsh to use twice to double cleanse, consider switching. The congestion from wearing a mask, stress from lifestyle changes, and quarantine snacking is definitely giving our skin ALL the reasons to hold on to extra nastiness. Let's give it zero reasons to do that;)
3. Acids, vitamin C, hyaluronic acid, and retinol.
If you haven’t noticed, you can’t get facials like you used to. Unfortunately, this is a time where you kind of have to take your skincare routine to the next level, and that means you should DEFINITELY consider adding BHA, AHA, vitamin C, hyaluronic acid and retinol to your routine (next week’s blog will be about this topic!). Depending on your skin type and your main skin concerns, you should spend some time researching active ingredients to try with your skin. Why? Because we have tiiiiime! Bottom line- start slow, add a little at a time, and don’t get frustrated. Once you figure it out, these active ingredients are AMAZING;)
4. Spray sunscreen.
Not all sunscreen is created equal, and you’ll quickly learn that your skin really doesn’t like the pore-clogging options under that required mask… Try a zinc spray sunscreen option or other light spray options (zinc is a great option, but you can also go for a mix of active ingredients for optimum protection). Make it a daily routine, don’t ever skip it, and watch that quarantine GLOW show up. SPF 30 broad spectrum is a great place to start.
5. De-stress on purpose.
We can’t stress this enough (haha, get it?). Stress affects your skin more than almost anything else. Seriously, it can KILL progress in 24 hours! Here are a few de-stressing rituals you can adopt today:
- Don’t check your phone when you get into bed for the night
- Take time during the day to get quiet with your thoughts
- Add a few drops of essential oil to your bath, light a candle, use a bath milk- make bath time EPIC
- Keep a skin journal- describe your skin that day & how you felt. Then take a look at when your skin is at its best & work toward feeling like that more often.
- Consider starting a CBD supplement if you suffer with high anxiety
- Find an outlet for your feelings- it can be writing, someone to talk to, meditation, a small group, whatever it is... do it like YESTERDAY